Entry submission period ended. You cannot submit new entries, or edit existing entries.
21st CONTEMPORARY ART BIENNIAL SESC_VIDEOBRASIL
1. THE CALL
Associação Cultural Videobrasil, CNPJ 66.515.487/0001-53, and Sesc São Paulo, CNPJ 03.667.884/0001-20, make public the opening of Artist applications for selection to participate in the 21st Contemporary Art Biennial Sesc_Videobrasil (Biennial), to take place from October 9, 2019, through February 2, 2020, at Sesc 24 de Maio and Galpão VB (São Paulo, Brazil).
The object of this call is the application from Artists with Work(s) of any kind, born or residing for over 5 (five) years in countries of the Global South and of the Community of Portuguese-Speaking Countries (CPLP), and members of native peoples of all countries. Artists born in the countries listed in item 8.5. are excluded from this call.
2.1. Artist or Group
- 2.1.1. Applications shall be accepted from Artists or Groups of Artists (two or more individuals, with no difference between duo, trio, collective, etc., henceforth simply Group) born or residing in countries belonging to the Global South, CPLP countries, and members of native peoples.
- 2.1.2. In the case of Collective Authorship, at least one Artist must be born or reside in one of the countries included in this call for over 5 (five) years. It shall be necessary to define one representative to be responsible for communication with Biennial organizers. In case the Group is selected, it is compulsory that all members sign the contract.
- 2.1.3. Application in Individual Authorship does not exclude the possibility of the same Artist applying in Collective Authorship(s) with a different username.
- 2.1.4. At any moment, the Artist or Group may be asked for proof of authenticity of any information presented to the Biennial organizers, as well as proof of location and period of residence at the address declared in the application form. Non-submission of such documents shall entail the disqualification of the application.
- 2.2.1. Work(s) shall be accepted with no restrictions of art idiom, theme, or media, providing they are unique in the city of São Paulo. The Work(s) must remain unique in São Paulo until the opening of the Biennial.
- 2.2.2. The Artist or Group may submit up to 5 (five) Works for participation in any of the curatorial platforms of the 21st Contemporary Art Biennial Sesc_Videobrasil (exhibition, publication, or public programs). The Selection Committee shall choose one or more Work(s) and the platform for their display. In the case of submission of video Work(s), the Artist or Group shall submit a screening copy in compliance with items 5.2. of this call.
- 2.2.3. Ownership of the intellectual property rights and copyright of submitted Work(s) is of sole and exclusive responsibility of the Artist or Group, including image, voice, and third-party copyright.
- 3.1. The deadline to submit applications is August 10, 2018, by 6:00 p.m. (UTC−2). Applications submitted after this deadline shall not be accepted.
- 3.2. Application implies full acceptance of the rules contained herein. Noncompliance with the clauses herein may result in the disqualification of the Artist or Group.
3.3. Application is free and submitted solely online, respecting the guidelines and stages described below:
The Artist or Group representative must first register a user email address and password on the Biennial application platform. This information will be requested every time the Artist or Group wishes to access the application form.
The information entered in the form may be saved for completion or modification at any moment. No modifications can be made following acceptance of the Agreement and submission of the form.
- The information of the Artist or Group must be entered in accordance with the following:
- a) Personal information of Artist or Group representative (name, address, contact number).
- b) Brief biography of Artist or Group [up to 1,000 characters, including spaces], including main exhibitions, artistic residencies, awards, scholarships, and presence in collections, among others.
- c) CV of Artist or Group (in PDF, TXT, DOC format, 2 MB at most). In the case of a Group, the CV of each member must be attached.
- d) Artist’s or Group’s portfolio (photographic records, texts, or prints, in general, documenting their production, in PDF or DOC format, 10 MB at most), as well as the portfolio of each member, if any.
3.3.3. Work(s) Information
- The Work(s) must be submitted together with specific details and other useful information, according to the items below:
- a) Technical data (title, series, country and year of production, type of Work — category or main format).
- b) Introduction text (1,000 characters at most, including spaces). It is necessary to inform whether the Work(s) has/have been exhibited before, specifying the venue and year of exhibition.
- c) Technical specifications, including exhibition proposal, handling, maintenance and conservation details, list of equipment necessary for installation, set design and technical design, among others. In the case of performance(s) and video Work(s) with dialogue/letterings, their transcription in Portuguese, Spanish, or English must be included.
- I. It is essential that video and/or audio Works have links to the full file in online platforms like Vimeo (www.vimeo.com), YouTube (www.youtube.com), or others. In case the link is restricted, the username and password must be provided. Works in languages other than Portuguese, Spanish, or English must be subtitled in English.
- II. The links must remain available until March 2019.
- III. The Biennial agrees not to disclose or forward the links to third parties during the selection process.
3.3.4. Complementary material
- Documents and/or relevant complementary illustrated material, such as reviews or images of previous exhibitions of the Work(s) may be included in DOC, TXT, or PDF format in the area reserved for Attachments.
- Complementary images may be attached in JPG, PNG, or TIFF format, with 10 MB at most. The images must ideally be between 10 × 15 cm and 21 × 27 cm, with 300 dpi resolution. In the case of series or polyptych, insert a selection of representative images.
- I. Submission of complementary material does exempt applicants from fully completing the application form.
- II. After selection, the attached files of nonselected Artists and Groups will be excluded from all databases of Associação Cultural Videobrasil.
3.4. Confirmation of Application
- 3.4.1. After filling in all fields of the application form, the Artist or person responsible for the Group must accept the Agreement to confirm the application, implying in full and unrestricted agreement with the conditions established in this call.
- 3.4.2. Applications with missing information or details filled out in languages other than Portuguese, Spanish, or English shall not be considered.
- 3.4.3. Each application generates a record number and a confirmation e-mail which must be saved by the Artist or person responsible for the Group. Possession of this number is sole proof of a successful application.
- 3.4.4. The Biennial is not responsible for applications not received for technical reasons such as communication failures, congested communication lines, or any other factors that hinder data transfer or access to files available on the site by the application deadline.
4. SELECTION PROCESS
- 4.1. The Selection Committee of the 21st Contemporary Art Biennial Sesc_Videobrasil shall select up to 50 (fifty) Artists and Groups to take part in the Biennial. The final decision is irrevocable, and there is no appealing the result.
- 4.2. The Selection Committee will analyze the Works in light of the curatorial statement proposed for this edition, in addition to their technical and spatial viability.
- 4.3. The selection result will be disclosed by February 28, 2019, on the websites of Associação Cultural Videobrasil and Sesc São Paulo. Selected Artists and Groups will be notified by e-mail.
- 4.4. As of the announcement of the result, the selected Works may not be exhibited or take part in any other event in the city of São Paulo until the end of the Biennial. The Artist or Group is entirely responsible for complying with this demand. Noncompliance with the agreements determined herein may result in the disqualification of the Artist or Group.
5. PARTICIPATION AND GRANTING OF RIGHTS OF SELECTED WORKS
- 5.1.1. Selected Artists or Groups shall receive a gross amount of R$2,750 (two thousand seven hundred and fifty reais, subject to Brazilian tax legislation) as remuneration for the granting of the rights of the selected Work(s) provided for in item 5.2.
- 5.1.2. The Artist or Group guarantees the availability of the Work(s) for exhibition at the Biennial, including the granting of rights provided for in item 5.2. below. It is the responsibility of the organizers to determine what measures will be taken in case of withdrawal.
- 5.1.3. In case the Artist or Group does not hold property rights over the selected Work(s), it will be essential to submit a loan authorization signed by the owner(s) for exhibition during the Biennial and in future itinerant exhibits, in the case of awardees.
- 5.1.4. In the case of video Works, the selected Artist or Group is obliged to submit a copy for screening during the Biennial.
- 5.1.5. The Biennial organizers will be responsible for transport and insurance of the Works in the “nail-to-nail” modality, as well as for guaranteeing their integrity during the period in which they are being exhibited.
- 5.1.6. It is the Artist or Group’s responsibility to submit a single address for collection of the Work(s) within the deadline mentioned below. For international collection, the Work(s) must be available as of July 1, 2019. For collection in Brazil, the Work(s) must be available as of August 1, 2019. Submission of any imprecise information or lack of compliance with transport deadlines shall cause the Work(s) to be disqualified.
- 5.1.7. It is the sole responsibility of the Artist or Group to provide complementary information to meet the demands for the production of content and publicizing material for the Biennial, such as interviews, photographs, images, and statements, within the deadline/schedule defined by the organizers at the time of the announcement of selected works.
- 5.1.8. Selected Artists and Groups shall be invited to take part in the Biennial’s opening week, as well as in activities in the Public Programs, debates, and meetings, with airfare and lodging expenses covered by the Biennial organizers. Costs related to the issuance of passports and visas for Brazil shall be the sole and exclusive responsibility of the Artist or Group.
5.2. Granting of rights of the Work or of records of the Work to the Videobrasil Historical Collection and Artist or Group images
- 5.2.1. It is the irrevocable and unconditional responsibility of the Artist(s) or Group(s) to provide 1 (one) screening copy of video Work(s) selected for the 21st Contemporary Art Biennial Sesc_Videobrasil to Associação Cultural Videobrasil (Videobrasil). The Work(s) will become part of the Videobrasil Historical Collection, and the institution may use the Work(s) for consultation, studies, and research in its own video library; promotion and broadcasting of the Work(s), of excerpts, frames, fragments, and images of the Work(s), of the Artist or Group members of the Biennial, throughout Brazil and abroad, not for profit, in contexts related to its principles and purposes, always connected to the 21st Contemporary Art Biennial Sesc_Videobrasil and subject to approval by the Artist(s) or Group(s).
- 5.2.2. Each and every photographic or video record of a Work selected to take part in the 21st Contemporary Art Biennial Sesc_Videobrasil will become part of the Videobrasil Historical Collection, and the institution may use it for consultation, studies, and research in its own video library; promotion and broadcasting of the Work(s), of excerpts, frames, fragments, and images of the Work(s), of the Artist or Group members, and of the Biennial throughout Brazil and abroad, not for profit; as well as for Public Exhibition, in contexts related to its principles and purposes, always connected to the 21st Contemporary Art Biennial Sesc_Videobrasil.
6. EXHIBITION OF SELECTED WORKS
- 6.1. It is the sole responsibility of the Biennial organizers, through its curatorship and artistic direction, to define the model of display of the Works, taking into consideration the specifications submitted by the Artist or Group in the application.
- 6.2. The selected Work(s) must be finished and ready to be installed. The Artist or Group shall assume all responsibility and costs associated with its production, with the exception of installations, performances, and interactions with the audience.
- 6.3. It is the responsibility of the Biennial organizers to install and dismantle the Works in the exhibition space, following instructions submitted by the Artists or Groups in the application form. Complementary instructions may be requested and should be forwarded in advance, within the deadline established by Biennial organizers.
- 6.4. If the information about the Work(s) is incomplete or insufficient to conclude the installation, the Artist or Group may be disqualified at the discretion of the organizers.
- 6.5. If the presence of the Artist or Group is essential during the installation of the selected Work(s), this should be informed at the time of application.
- 6.6. In the case of proposals involving performances and interaction with the audience, a schedule will be defined by the curators and artistic director following the announcement of the selection results.
- Aiming to enhance its institutional presence in the Southern art scene and reaffirm its role as a promoter of this scene, the Contemporary Art Biennial Sesc_Videobrasil will offer seven awards, granted by an international jury comprising renowned professionals from art circuits of the South. The selected artists will be consulted in due course about their interest to participate in the awarding.
- • State of the Art Award – Cash prize in the amount of R$100,000 (one hundred thousand reais, subject to Brazilian tax legislation) for the best participating Artist or Group.
- • Sesc Contemporary Art Award – Two awards of R$50,000 (fifty thousand reais, subject to Brazilian tax legislation) will be granted to the two Brazilian artists or Group whose works most stand out in this edition. A work by each one of the winners will become part of the Sesc Brazilian Art Collection.
- • Artistic Residency Awards – Three awards will be offered to young artists in partner institutions of the Videobrasil Residency Program. A young artist is one whose first participation in collective or individual exhibitions was no more than ten years ago. The Artist or Group with no interest in the residency award must include this information in the application form.
- • O.F.F. Award – Cash prize in the amount of R$25,000 (twenty-five thousand reais, subject to Brazilian tax legislation), offered by the Ostrovsky Family Fund to an artist with original research on moving image.
7.1. Artistic Residency Awards
- 7.1.1. The Artistic Residency Awards, lasting 8 (eight) weeks and with support for the production of a unique work, must be used within two years of the end of the 21st Biennial (January 2019–September 2020). Airfare, lodging, and per diems are included. Awardees are responsible for passport and visa expenses.
- 7.1.2. In the case of awards granted to a Group of artists, only one representative must be defined to use the Artistic Residency Award.
7.2. Works produced during artistic residencies
7.2.1. All Work(s) created during the artistic residency must include the credits below on an exclusive screen (in the case of video), on labels, and in publications linked to the event in which the Work(s) is/are being exhibited. The credits must be accompanied by the logos of Associação Cultural Videobrasil and of the artistic residency institution where the Work(s) was/were created.
This Work is the result of the Artistic Residency Award granted by the 21st Contemporary Art Biennial Sesc_Videobrasil.
7.2.2. In the case of video Work(s), it/they will automatically become part of the Videobrasil Historical Collection and the institution's residency collection, with the granting of rights and use provided for in item 5.2.
- 7.2.3. In the case of Work(s) in media other than video, records of the Work(s) (installation instructions, photo and video documentation) will become part of the Videobrasil Historical Collection, with the granting of rights and uses provided for in item 5.2.
7.3. Special Awards
The Biennial organizers may grant Special Awards in partnership with other collaborators, to be announced later.
7.4. Southern Panoramas Trophy
- 7.4.1. Awarded Artists and Groups will receive the Southern Panoramas Trophy, created by a renowned Brazilian artist.
- 7.4.2. In the case of Group awardees, only one trophy will be granted per Group.
7.5. General Provisions
- 7.5.1. The award results will be disclosed at a ceremony during the Biennial opening week.
- 7.5.2. The awarded Works must be made available to the Biennial organizers for participation in the 21st Biennial Itinerant Exhibition at Sesc units around the state of São Paulo and/or at Galpão VB, for a period of one year from the end of the Biennial. The awarded Works will be maintained and preserved by the Biennial organizers in conditions compatible with their technical needs.
8. IMPEDIMENTS FOR APPLICATION
- The following cannot apply:
- 8.1. Employees and interns at Sesc São Paulo and Associação Cultural Videobrasil or their relatives (spouses, partners, dependents, relatives up to third degree and such).
- 8.2. Members of the Curatorial Committee and their relatives (spouses, partners, dependents, relatives up to third degree and such).
- 8.3. Individuals or legal entities hired to work in the Biennial.
- 8.4. Works produced during Artistic Residency Awards granted in previous editions of the Contemporary Art Festival Sesc_Videobrasil.
- 8.5. Artists and Group members born and resident in the following countries: Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Iceland, Italy, Japan, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, the Netherlands, Norway, Republic of Ireland, San Marino, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, United States, and Vatican, thus comprising the exception provided for in item 2 of this call.
Note: applications from persons who meet the impediment criteria above will be invalidated at any stage of the selection.
To initiate your application, register a new user or use an existing one in the field above.